Global variables

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Fri Feb 2 04:35:28 EST 2007

John Meacham wrote:
> luckily, pretty much all of this was worked out in a discussion a while
> ago, the trick was to create a new type 'ACIO' which contained only
> 'good' top level operations. There will be an 'unsafeIOToACIO' of
> course

Hmm. There was a long thread about this in Nov. 2004
on haskell-cafe with a number of proposals. One person
characterized that thread as a "religious war".

Is there a ticket for this issue?

I know it is a bit late in the process, but this is an
important hole in Haskell 98 that should be fairly
easy to plug. It would be a shame to miss the
opportunity.

Thanks,
Yitz