help from the community?

Stephanie Weirich sweirich at cis.upenn.edu
Thu Feb 1 15:55:25 EST 2007

Here are some of my comments to Iavor's proposals:
 > Notation for Schemes

 > PROPOSAL: be liberal:

 > allow empty quantifier lists

 > allow variables that are not mentioned in the body of a type (but
warn)

 > allow predicates that do not mention quantified variables (but warn?)

For the reasons that others have expressed, I prefer that we not be
liberal here. I think we should reject the first two cases. I'm
ambivalent about the last one.

I don't think we want to allow types like:

     forall . Int   or     forall a b. Int

These types are mostly bugs. Furthermore, rejecting them doesn't
limit expressiveness: they should both be "equivalent" to Int, so
user could just write Int. I can't really think how allowing these
types extends the expressiveness of the language, nor can I imagine a
situation where someone would prefer seeing one of these types
instead of Int. And in fact, given restrictions on higher-rank and
impredicativity, Int would be a much better type to use. (This issue
is *slightly* related to the one below. Perhaps different answers for
that question may interact with this one.)

On the other hand, perhaps there is uses for types like  C a => a ->
a  where a is bound in some external context? The last issue doesn't
seem very straightforward to me.

 > Equivalence for type schemes

 > PROPOSAL: Use syntactic equivalence modulo

 > alpha renaming

 > order/repetition of predicates (i.e. compare predicates as sets)

This proposal doesn't go as far as entailment---which would equate
the types forall . Int and Int.

And also types that are not alpha-equivalent but differ only in the
order of quantification:

i.e.

forall a b. (a,b) -> a

=/=

forall b a. (a,b) -> a

are *not* alpha equivalent, but it would be nice if they were
semantically equivalent.

I guess at this point we need to hear from implementors about how
difficult it would be to implement semantic entailment? Is there
another point in the space between syntactic equivalence and full
entailment?  (i.e. normalize types in some way and then compare them?)

 > Higher-rank types and data constructors

I'll chime in and say that I'm in favor of rank-n over rank-2 types,
and I would like to allow subexpressions to have higher-rank types as
well. As a user (not an implementer) I find this to be the easiest to
think about, as I only have to worry about the difference between
monotypes and polytypes where type inference is concerned. If my
program doesn't typecheck, I need only add more annotations. I don't
need to rewrite the code.

About this example:

 > data T  = C1 Int (forall a. (Eq a, Show a) => a -> a)
 >        | C2     (forall a. (Show a, Eq a) => a -> a)
 > h      :: a -> a -> Int
 > h _ _   = 1
 > test    = h (C1 1) C2
Note that even if partial applications (of constructors and other
higher-rank functions) are allowed, in this example would still be
rejected because it requires impredicative polymorphism. However,

-- type abbreviation for convenience

type U = forall a. (Eq a, Show a) => a -> a

h :: U -> U -> Int

h _ _ = 1
test  = h (C1 1) C2

should be accepted if we chose the proposal for type scheme
equivalence above.

---Stephanie