Here-docs in Haskell source

Ian Zimmerman itz at madbat.mine.nu
Fri Sep 22 21:30:50 EDT 2006

Ian> If you do this at all, reuse the regular quotes, don't invent yet
Ian> another weird and wonderful lexical syntax.  Haskell is already bad
Ian> enough that way, with \ used for lambda and so on.  @" would be
Ian> okay I guess.

John> Why not just go the Python way and use """ ?  That is, three
John> literal quotes at the beginning and end.  After all, Python has
John> lifted quite a few things from Haskell.  Time to return the
John> favor. ;-)

Because it will confuse language-agnostic tools.

Do you use Emacs?  How does it handle the Python syntax?  I am not a
Python programmer, so I can't answer that myself.  But I'll hazard a
guess: badly.

--
She had a passion for anyone who could do anything really well.
...                "Not for an engineer, not for a technician!"