Small note regarding the mailing list

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at
Sat Sep 2 19:37:07 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006, Aaron Denney wrote:

> On 2006-09-02, Philippa Cowderoy <flippa at> wrote:

> >> I'd rather not.  If you want to be able to filter, you can use the
> >> "Sender" field which will always be:
> >> Sender: haskell-prime-bounces at
> >>

> > This isn't really enough if you're scan-reading a pile of stuff - are
> > there any particularly good reasons to avoid the tags? They're pretty much
> > standard practice.
> They take away valuable space that can be used for informative messages.

I rarely see a subject I can't read the whole of in a single line anyway,

> If you want to filter it out, don't do it by hand, that's what computers
> are for.

That's not the problem, though. The occasional problem is not accidentally
thinking "oh, that's spam" and deleting a post because you don't recognise
the poster and the subject line looks vaguely spamlike. And the spammers
have found ways of dealing with bayesian filters by now. If I whitelist
and then scan through a spam folder once in a while that makes things even
worse, because the proportion of spam in the spam folder is that much

flippa at

Society does not owe people jobs.
Society owes it to itself to find people jobs.