Exceptions

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 1 09:05:42 EDT 2006

On 31 August 2006 12:43, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> Hello Simon,
>
> Thursday, August 31, 2006, 12:33:26 PM, you wrote:
>
>> I don't think we need more extensions to do a reasonable job of
>> extensible exceptions:
>
>> http://www.haskell.org/~simonmar/papers/ext-exceptions.pdf
>
> i'm not yet read but guess that this is paper you will present at
> ICFP?
>
> can you please say in 2 words - what is the current state of this?

"not" "yet"

(well that was about all I could say in 2 words :-).

> is
> it can be used with ghc 6.4, or 6.6, or ...? some solution in this
> area, imho, is a must for serious application development

I didn't want to unilaterally implement something without having a
discussion about exactly what to do, as there are various design issues.
The Haskell Workshop paper advocates one particular point in the design
space, and I think the point it occupies is a local maximum for various
reasons, but it's not 100% clear that this is the right thing for
Haskell'.