Indentation of If-Then-Else

Taral taralx at
Tue Oct 24 12:52:47 EDT 2006

On 10/24/06, Henning Thielemann <haskell at> wrote:
> For processing conditions, the if-then-else syntax was defined in
> Haskell98. However it could be simply replaced by the function if' with
> if' :: Bool -> a -> a -> a
> if' True  x _ = x
> if' False _ y = y

I support the inclusion of if' because it is the Bool catamorphism,
but I would structure its arguments as (a -> a -> Bool -> a) because
that facilitates use of the currying.

I don't think it's an effective replacement for if/then/else because
using if' usually requires a bunch of harder-to-read () instead of
nice delimiting reserved words.

Taral <taralx at>
"You can't prove anything."
    -- Gödel's Incompetence Theorem