Pattern matching order for records

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Fri Oct 13 10:07:31 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Has clarifying the pattern matching order for records as described in
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/246 been discussed for
haskell'? I couldn't see it on the proposals list.

Personally I actually think hugs is doing the right thing according to
the report and that there is no real ambiguity in the report's language,
just a bit of unclarity.

Furthermore, I think hugs' interpretation means that it is easier for
the programmer to understand how his program will behave if he only has
to look at the pattern to be matched, and not refer back to the
definition of the record, even if this does make for slightly more
desugaring work for the implementor.

Thus I would propose just clarifying the language for Haskell'.

Thanks
Ian