Proposal for stand-alone deriving declarations?

Bjorn Bringert bringert at cs.chalmers.se
Thu Oct 5 14:58:28 EDT 2006

We considered that syntax, but decided against it. Stand-alone
deriving declarations are made to be as similar as possible to the
current deriving mechanism, rather than be similar to instance
declarations. The basic reason for maintaining a syntactic
distinction between instance declarations and deriving declarations
is to make the programmer aware of the restrictions of the deriving
mechanism.

These are some things that make deriving declarations different from
instance declarations:

- You can only derive instances for data types and newtypes.
- For deriving declarations, the compiler figures out the
constraints, whereas the programmer writes them for instance
declarations.
- In GHC, you can declare non-Haskell98 instances such as Eq (C X)
where X is a concrete type, but you can't do deriving for them.
- When deriving instances of multi-parameter type classes (again non-
standard), the newtype for which the deriving is made must be the
last argument to the class. If the syntax were "deriving (Class
T1 ... Tn)", it might not be clear to the reader what type the
deriving is for.

I can't see any technical reason not to do as you propose. One
advantage would be that it makes it possible to fully subsume GHC's
current deriving extensions (though there are other ways to do this,
see my recent e-mail to ghc-cvs). One slight disadvantage is that it
does require a bit more footwork in the compiler to figure out which
type to do the deriving for.

/Björn