Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 18:52:09 EST 2006

On 11/30/06, Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Iavor,
> how about using Haskell for scripting? i find it as great alternative
> to perl/ruby, particularly because i don't want to remember two
> languages, particularly because of great data processing instruments

I am speculating, but I suspect that the uses of defaulting in a
Haskell program (e.g. a script) are a lot fewer than when one uses
Hugs as a calculator.  In addition, as people already mentioned,
ambiguities can be resolved with type signatures.We already have to do
this anyway when defaulting does not apply (e.g., if any user defined
classes are involved).