defaults

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 29 20:50:36 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 12:21 +1100, Bernie Pope wrote:

> A compromise is to turn defaulting off "by default". This would mean
> that if you want defaulting you have to ask for it. The question then
> would be:
> does defaulting get exported across module boundaries? I would be
> inclined to say "no", but there may be compelling arguments for it.

If it's on a per-class basis then it would be reasonable to allow the
default to be exported, no? Then you just have to argue about if the
default Prelude should export defaults for the Num and other standard
classes.

For my GUI OOP inheritance hierarchy use-case I'd certainly want to
export the default. It'd be pretty useless otherwise (I don't mean in
general, just for this use-case).

Duncan