defaults

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Nov 27 19:28:00 EST 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 12:05:46PM +0000, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> Prompted by recent discussion on the Hat mailing list about the problems
> of type-defaulting, I have added two new proposals for this issue to the
> Haskell-prime wiki at:
>
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/Defaulting

I don't see a proposal to remove defaulting defaulting altogether on
that page - has that been discussed already?

Am I the only one who puts an explicit type signature in whenever my
compiler warns me that it is having to do some defaulting? And probably
99% of those would be unnecessary if (^)'s second argument was an Int,
with a genericPower (or whatever) function providing the current type
signature (analogous to, for example, (!!) and genericIndex).

Defaulting is one wart I would be glad to be rid of.

Thanks
Ian