Fractional/negative fixity?

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 7 17:49:22 EST 2006

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 17:32, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2006, at 11:47 , apfelmus at quantentunnel.de wrote:
> > Henning Thielemann wrote:

> >> Maybe that page could also mention earlier proposals and the
> >> solutions
> >> without precedence numbers. I prefer the non-numeric approach with
> >> rules
> >> like "(<) binds more tightly than (&&)", because it says what is
> >> intended
> >> and it allows to make things unrelated that are unrelated, e.g. infix
> >> operators from different libraries. Consequently a precedence
> >> relation to
> >> general infix operators like ($) and (.) had be defined in each
> >> library.
> >
> > I think that computable real fixity levels are useful, too. A further
> > step to complex numbers is not advised because those cannot be
> > ordered.
>
> But ordering of the computable reals is not computable.  So it could
> cause the compiler to loop during parsing. :)
>
> 	-- Lennart

Ha! Well, as long as we're being pedantic, surely we wouldn't need any set
larger than the rationals (which does have a decidable ordering)?

Also, since I'm commenting anyway, I rather like the idea of specifying
operator precedences via a partial order.  However, I also feel that there
needs to be some work done to make sure there aren't gremlins hiding in the
details.  Has anyone worked out the theory on this?  How does associating to
the right vs left play into the picture?  How does it fit into the parsing
technology?

--
Rob Dockins

Talk softly and drive a Sherman tank.
Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank.
       -- TMBG