Proposal for stand-alone deriving declarations?

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Wed Nov 1 14:08:33 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 12:30:31PM -0600, Brian Smith wrote:
> I think it is difficult to discuss things via a Wiki.

Yes, a mailing list is much better for discussion.

would make derived instances different from explicit ones, but as I've
argued before, I think it's unavoidable:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-prime/2006-October/thread.html#1739

If you accept that this is the primary use of the standalone feature,
such conflicts will happen all the time.