FFI, safe vs unsafe

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Mar 31 16:24:30 EST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 03:16:50PM -0500, Wolfgang Thaller wrote:
> Before adding non-concurrent, reentrant calls to the language
> standard, please take some time to think about what that means. If
> you have forkIO'ed multiple threads, things start to interact in
> strange ways. I think this is a can of worms we don't want to open.
> (Or open again. It's still open in GHC's non-threaded RTS, and the
> worms are crawling all over  the place there).

I am still digesting your message, but a quick note is that when you
specify non-concurrent, you arn't saying "it can't be concurrent" but
rather "I don't absolutely need it to be"

so GHC would still treat all reentrant calls as concurrent and that is
a-okay by the spec.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈