thread priorities?

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 04:23:45 EST 2006

Hello Simon,

>> threadSetPriority :: ThreadID -> Int -> IO ()

> I'd rather not, if we can avoid it.  The only rationale I'll offer is
> that we don't have it in GHC, and people manage to do a lot without
> priorities.  Priorities come with a whole can of worms that I'd rather
> not deal with.

it was requested by Joel Reymont, and he even give us information how
that is implemented in Erlang, together with hint to assign higher
priorities to consuming threads. I personally also want to had
priorities, in order to run my I/O thread anytime when previous I/O
operation is completed, in order to raise overall program performance

I also don't see principal implementation problems - instead of
round-robin selecting of next thread to run, it should be some more
complex structure

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com