Pre-emptive or co-operative concurrency (was: Concurrency)

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 10:13:37 EST 2006

Hi

> What does YHC do about in-progress thunk evaluations when a context
> switch happens?  Does it use blackholing like GHC, or does it
> portentially duplicate the work, or something else?

As far as I am aware, since it only switches on instruction
boundaries, it never has to worry about this. It certainly doesn't
duplicate work, and I think the blackholing is just used for circular
dependancy problems, exactly as before threading became used.

To be honest, for concurrency I'm a bit out of my depth, Tom did all
the design and implementation.

Thanks

Neil