Pre-emptive or co-operative concurrency (was: Concurrency)

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 30 09:10:34 EST 2006

On 30 March 2006 12:44, Claus Reinke wrote:

> so if we take that hypothetical example of foreign exporting GHC's
> concurrency support, can we assume that the (IO a)s implemented in
> foreign code will be given their own OS thread when using that
> concurrency library? all of them, or only the non-atomic ones?

I'm sorry, I completely fail to see what you're getting at with this
line of discussion.  Could you say in more detail how you expect to
provide access to concurrency via the FFI?  And what the point of it is?
(it's not obvious how to foreign export forkIO, for example).

> the point being: the FFI says something about how to integrate
> foreign and Haskell memory management; should it also say something
> about threadability of foreign code (wrt to scheduling, and wrt
> thread-safety)?

If Haskell' includes concurrency then of course it must say something
about the behaviour of foreign calls with respect to concurrency (if
that's what you mean by "threadability").  Is that what you're asking?