seq as a class method

Andy Gill andy at galois.com
Wed Mar 29 14:23:00 EST 2006

John, et. al.,

I'd rather just use a polymorphic function, but would having some
sort of ... notation in class contexts help?

sort (Eq a,_) => [a] -> [a]

Which means that we need at least the Eq a, but perhaps more.
See #86 http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/
PartialTypeAnnotations

In terms of seq, and deepSeq, here is a space leak problem I often
need to solve.

Imagine a function

cpuStep :: CPUState -> CPUState

where the CPUState is a large structure, for (say) the 68000 register
file, a
and also contains information about a level-1 cache.

I want to run for 100,000 instructions.

runCPU :: Int ->  CPUState -> CPUState
runCPU 0 state = state
runCPU n state = runCPU (n-1) (cpuStep state)

My job is to make this run in approximately constant space; a
reasonable request.

Well, we can add a seq to the modified state:

runCPU n state = state'` `seq` runCPU (n-1) state'
   where
	state' = cpuStep state

But the thing still leaks like crazy. *I've seen this again and again.*
Some internal piece of data inside CPUState depends on
the value of another piece of CPUState from the previous
iteration.

At Galois, we often fix this with a deepSeq (actually using NFData).

runCPU n state = state'` `depSeq` runCPU (n-1) state'
   where
	state' = cpuStep state

Great, the leak is gone, but now each step takes 100s of times longer!
So we descend into the implementation of cpuStep, turning on-and-off
deepSeq's until we have constant space version. Ugg. Then someone
makes a small change to our implementation of cpuStep, and re-introduces
the leak...

We have used a version of deepSeq that that looked up a table
at runtime, to find what to make strict and what not to make strict.
This made for rapid binary searching to find the problem thunk(s),
but ugly unsafePerformIOs behind the derivings, and non-standard
hacks. But like runtime flags for asserts, we could have runtime
arguments for seq/deepSeq pragmas.

Questions
  - Does anyone have any better suggestions of how to fix this real
issue?
  - Could a polymorphic deepSeq allow for a implementation that does
    not do repeated walked over pre-evaluated data?

Andy Gill