concurrency (was Re: important news: refocusing discussion)

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at
Tue Mar 28 04:49:36 EST 2006

Tomasz Zielonka <tomasz.zielonka at> wrote:

> It may be relevant for this discussion: I believe I reimplemented STM,
> including retry and orElse, on top of old GHC's concurrency
> primitives.
> Perhaps it could serve as a drop-in replacement for STM in haskell
> compilers which don't implement STM directly.

Nice idea.  But your code already uses a whole heap of Haskell
extensions which may or may not make it into Haskell'.

   monad transformer lib (requires MPTC)
   dynamically extensible exceptions
   deriving non-standard classes
   extended newtype deriving
   pattern guards

Certainly, no compiler other than GHC currently implements all of these