important news: refocusing discussion

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Mon Mar 27 20:37:23 EST 2006

On 2006-03-28, Taral <taralx at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/27/06, Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:
>> How about STM (minus retry/orElse) and TVars as the portable interface?
>> They're trivial for a single-threaded implementation, and provide a
>> comfortable interface for everyone.
>
> +1 on STM as the core interface. Why do you suggest omitting retry/orElse?

-1.  STM is a cool little abstraction making it easy to write dead-lock
free code.  I haven't wrapped my head around writing _quick_ dead-lock free
code, where as the MVar model has all sorts of abstractions built that
make that, well, not _easy_, but the difficulties are understood.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-