important news: refocusing discussion

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 05:17:19 EST 2006

Hello Ross,

Saturday, March 25, 2006, 4:16:01 AM, you wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 02:47:09PM -0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
>> I think it would be a mistake to relegate concurrency to an addendum; it
>> is a central feature of the language, and in fact is one area where
>> Haskell (strictly speaking GHC) is really beginning to demonstrate
>> significant advantages over other languages.  We should make the most of
>> it.

> Essential for many applications, certainly, but central?  How can you
> say that?

it becomes central language feature just because it's much easier to
write concurrent programs in Haskell than in other languages and
because ghc's implementation of "user-level threads" is blazing fast,
outperforming closest competitor in hundreds (!) times in the Language
Shootout concurrency testing

so, the concurrent programming, may be, the only area at now, where
real-world, commercial programmers should prefer Haskell over all
other languages. in this light, leaving the concurrency outside of
language standard will decrease our chances of pushing the language to
the commercial arena and gathering "critical mass" of Haskellers

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com