Strict tuples

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Thu Mar 23 17:25:52 EST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 22. März 2006 14:19 schrieb Bulat Ziganshin:
> Hello Wolfgang,
>
> you said WHAT you think but not said WHY? my motivation is to be able
> to use myriads of already implemented algorithms on new datatypes

I think, I already tried to explain why I think the way I think in an earlier
mail:

> Strictness has to refer to attributes (the things you apply a data
> constructor to).  In you approach, strictness is connected to type
> arguments.  This causes problems.  For example, if you have
>
>         data T a = C a a,
>
> what would T !a mean?  Would both attributes be strict?  But how would you
> force only one attribute to be strict then?

By the way, would it be okay for you to answer below the quotation, not above
it?  And would it be possible to use just a > sign, followed by a space for
marking quotations.  My MUA gets confused by things like “WJ> ”. Thank you
very much.

> [...]

Best wishes,
Wolfgang