Strict tuples

John Hughes rjmh at cs.chalmers.se
Wed Mar 22 05:36:53 EST 2006

<>From: "Simon Marlow" <simonmar at microsoft.com>

    <>After some thought, I find myself with a similar view to John. Strict
    <>tuples are starting to feel like real language bloat, one tiny
    addition
    <>too much.
    <>
    <>Remember, every addition we make to the core syntax is multiplied
    by all
    <>the parsers for Haskell and tools that have to grok Haskell, and make
    <>the bar ever-so-slightly higher to producing such tools. There's a
    <>reason that syntax ends in "tax" :-)
    <>

<>
Not to mention all the brains that have to learn it. It seems to me the
gain is small, considering how easy it is to do already.

    <>By all means have strict tuples in a library somewhere. They don't
    need
    <>to have special syntax.
    <>

<>