Strict tuples

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 21 10:02:51 EST 2006

On 21 March 2006 03:10, John Meacham wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 09:39:41AM -0500, Manuel M T Chakravarty
> wrote:
>> Apart from the syntactic issues, does anybody else support the idea
>> of strict tuples as proposed?  I just want to know whether I am
>> alone on this before putting it on the wiki.
>
> I have a few issues though, not entirely easy to articulate.
>
> I worry about all the (! .. !) types that will appear in interfaces,
> making things like (map fst) not work.

After some thought, I find myself with a similar view to John.  Strict
tuples are starting to feel like real language bloat, one tiny addition
too much.

Remember, every addition we make to the core syntax is multiplied by all
the parsers for Haskell and tools that have to grok Haskell, and make
the bar ever-so-slightly higher to producing such tools.  There's a
reason that syntax ends in "tax" :-)

By all means have strict tuples in a library somewhere.  They don't need
to have special syntax.