[Haskell-cafe] STUArray

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sat Mar 18 17:05:35 EST 2006

Bulat Ziganshin:
> Hello Chris,
>
> Sunday, March 12, 2006, 2:05:09 PM, you wrote:
>
> CK> Is GHC.PArr documented?
>
> it's perfectly documented in module sources itself :) you can also
> look at the ndpFlatten directory in ghc compiler's sources. i've
> successfully used them in my program, of course this makes program
> faster but only-GHC compatible. so i plan to document it on
> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Arrays and incorporate it in
> Data.Array.* infrastructure so that strict arrays will be emulated
> under Hugs.
>
> CK> The -fparr option is not in the 6.4.1 User's Guide.
>
> they just forgot to do this :)  btw, strict arrays will be a good
> candidate for Haskell-prime library standard

No, it's not an oversight.  The implementation is not complete.  Just
last week, we have started a second go at a complete implementation of
fast arrays.  Don't hold your breath though, it's a lot of work.

The interface of GHC.PArr will not change very much, but it'll use type
classes and associated types in a very essential way.  Underneath, a lot
of GHC specific will be used to optimise code, such as rewrite rules.
So, I don't think this is suitable for Haskell'.

Manuel