only explicit universal quantification

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Wed Mar 15 20:05:14 EST 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 06:02:56PM +0100, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> what about dropping implicit universal quantification of type variables from
> the language, meaning that every universal quantification has to be made
> explicit?

I had a somewhat halfway idea for that, make explicit quantification on
term-bound type signatures required, but not for let-bound ones.

foo = (id :: forall a . a -> a)

foo :: a -> a
foo = id

this would solve the scoped variables problem if let bound type
signatures always shadow the names of scoped type variables.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈