Keep the present Haskell record system!

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Mon Mar 6 08:30:04 EST 2006

>> my own opinion is that this scheme is like classes - they can be
>> resolved at compile time in most real cases but noone do it because
>> code will be too large. if some function can accept any records which
>> has field 'a' then to use this function on records of different types
>> we need either to do specialization or use scheme with non-constant
>> access time

for those who haven't seen it, the following paper explored the former
possibility with good success (at a time when type classes where
still somewhat simpler:):

    Dictionary-free Overloading by Partial Evaluation
    Mark P. Jones, ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Partial
    Evaluation and Semantics-Based Program Manipulation,
    Orlando, Florida, June 1994.
    http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~mpj/pubs/pepm94.html

cheers,
claus