Keep the present Haskell record system!

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 00:18:45 EST 2006

On 04/03/06, Benjamin Franksen <benjamin.franksen at bessy.de> wrote:
> On Saturday 04 March 2006 19:35, Claus Reinke wrote:
> > my current favourite for such a simple alternative record system
> > would be Daan Leijen's "Extensible records with scoped labels"
> > (TFP2005): http://www.cs.uu.nl/~daan/pubs.html
>
> Yes. Daan Leijen's record system is the best of all the ones I have read
> about, not least because of its simplicity.

I just looked at this, and it made me wonder why we all haven't jumped
on it. It looks pretty much ideal -- are there any known problems with
it? It has pretty much all the operations that you'd want in an
extensible record system, there are no lacks predicates to worry
about, type inference is complete and sound (and there are
constructive proofs available of this), and it doesn't look like it
should be all that difficult to implement (the paper even gives
suggestions as to possible efficient implementations). What are we
searching for?

 - Cale