Comment Syntax

Georg Martius mai99dgf at studserv.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Jan 31 07:20:41 EST 2006

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 12:31, Thomas Davie wrote:
> >> The fact that -- is a reserved word while {- is not just highlights
> >> farther the inconsistency in the language.
> >
> > Your position implies one of the following:
> >
> > 1) You think that "{{" ought to be a legal operator.
> >
> > 2) You think that "-" ought not to be a legal operator.
> >
> > 3) You think that custom operators are a bad idea. (Hey, Bjarne
> > Stroustrup agrees with you!)
> >
> > Which is it? Personally, I disagree with all three, but then again, I
> > don't see any inconsistency here.
>
> 4) I think that comments should start consistently with either a) a
> reserved word, or b) something involving a set character (or
> characters) not allowed in operators.  Maybe ever '{{' would be good
> for a single line comment.

a) a reserved word must be followed by space as well.
b) {{ is certainly a bad idea because of pairwise paretheses match
I feel no inconsitency with the current system and I think
-- some comment
looks much better than
--some comment
anyway. My opinion: Your editor should support you. If it doesn't, than switch
to a proper one our adapt the mode and share it with the other users.

Georg