Export lists in modules

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Fri Feb 24 03:06:40 EST 2006

John Meacham wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:58:36AM +0000, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
>> Some data-structures people (e.g. Chris Okasaki) are of the opinion that
>> lists tend to be over-used (because they are built-in), when other
>> datatypes might be much more appropriate.
>
> While this may be true of lesser languages and compilers, for a whole
> lot of stuff lists end up faster and more efficient than other data
> structures.

I think the issue here is not to decide between lists or trees,
but to write programs in such a way that this decision
is not made too early and can be easily changed later:
it is between using a concrete collection data type
and an abstract one (a.k.a. type class). We had this discussion before.

respectfully submitted,
--
-- Johannes Waldmann -- Tel/Fax (0341) 3076 6479/80 --
---- http://www.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/~waldmann/ -------