Parallel list comprehensions

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 04:06:24 EST 2006

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 03:11:10PM +0100, John Hughes wrote:
> I noticed ticket #55--add parallel list comprehensions--which according to
> the ticket, will probably be adopted. I would argue against.

As there are many voices against and only John M speaking for these,
it seems reasonable at least to move them from "probably yes" to "maybe".

> My opinion may be coloured by the fact that I never use the things.
> However, I think it's a mistake to add rarely used features with
> a small payoff to the language. It just makes the language larger,
> harder to learn, and harder to read for all but the expert, without
> much corresponding benefit.

I agree, but then I feel the same way about pattern guards.  I've used
them only recently, and that was modifying code (GHC) that already had
lots of Maybe-returning functions designed for use with pattern guards.