the MPTC Dilemma (please solve)

Ravi Nanavati ravi at bluespec.com
Tue Feb 14 16:14:14 EST 2006

My personal opinion is that while a delay might resolve this particular
dilemma, I don't see a delay as preventing *future* dilemmas along the
same lines. As long as Haskell implementations actively experiment with
the language (and I don't think this is something we'd want to
discourage) I'd expect that there would always be features that people
find highly useful that aren't straightforward to standardize for one
reason or another. And given the volume of extensions most "real-world"
Haskell programs are using today, I think there's plenty worth
standardizing regardless of how things are resolved with this particular
dilemma.

  - Ravi

P.S. I suppose this is also an argument for some sort of
"extension-blessing" mechanism. If we're expecting a future in which a
thousand more extensions will bloom, it seems like a good idea to create
some mechanism for implementers and users to manage that complexity.