Priorities

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 11:56:41 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:03:08AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Maybe this is just me being dense, but how is poll or select
> concurrency?  There is no multiprocessing involved; it is simply a more
> efficient way to find which file descriptors are ready for some I/O
> action.
>
> I know, of course, that Java green threads and Haskell forkIO threads
> are called "threads", but I personally believe its misleading to call it
> concurrency -- they're not doing more than one thing at a time.

Aren't you thinking about Parallellism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concurrency_%28computer_science%29
    In computer science, concurrency is a property of systems which
    consist of computations that execute overlapped in time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_programming
    Parallel computing is the simultaneous execution of the same task (split
    up and specially adapted) on multiple processors in order to obtain
    results faster.

This agrees with what I have read in many texts on the subjects.

Best regards
Tomasz

--
I am searching for programmers who are good at least in
(Haskell || ML) && (Linux || FreeBSD || math)