Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at
Fri Feb 3 11:56:41 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:03:08AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Maybe this is just me being dense, but how is poll or select
> concurrency?  There is no multiprocessing involved; it is simply a more
> efficient way to find which file descriptors are ready for some I/O
> action.
> I know, of course, that Java green threads and Haskell forkIO threads
> are called "threads", but I personally believe its misleading to call it
> concurrency -- they're not doing more than one thing at a time.

Aren't you thinking about Parallellism?
    In computer science, concurrency is a property of systems which
    consist of computations that execute overlapped in time
    Parallel computing is the simultaneous execution of the same task (split
    up and specially adapted) on multiple processors in order to obtain
    results faster.

This agrees with what I have read in many texts on the subjects.

Best regards

I am searching for programmers who are good at least in
(Haskell || ML) && (Linux || FreeBSD || math)
for work in Warsaw, Poland