give equal rights to types and classes! :)

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at
Thu Feb 2 11:59:06 EST 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> Hello Philippa,
> Thursday, February 02, 2006, 3:38:15 AM, you wrote:
> >> btw, on the
> >> author mean using underscore for "(exists a . a)" types
> >>
> PC> No I don't, for a number of technical reasons.
> are you sure? this "_" means "any type that compiler will find
> appropriate". is it not the same as "exists a . a" ?

Not in the context of a predicative type system. Also, if we treat it
simply as an annotation (exists a . a), we end up throwing away the
additional information inferred.

flippa at

A problem that's all in your head is still a problem.
Brain damage is but one form of mind damage.