give equal rights to types and classes! :)

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Wed Feb 1 11:58:56 EST 2006

Hello Johannes,

JW> Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

>> instead of writing
>> foo :: (Num a, Monad m) => a -> m ()
>> allow to write
>> foo :: Num -> Monad ()

JW> as has been noted, that would be special treatment
JW> for unary type classes with argument of kind *.

not sure. multi-parameter type classes will be equivalent to
parametric types:

class (Monad m) => Stream m h ...

foo :: Stream m h -> m ()

equals to

foo :: (Stream m h) => h -> m ()

JW> Also, *if* we want such a shorthand, it is not clear whether we want
JW> existential or forall typing per default. Referring to your example,
JW> the "foo" function must be able to return a value in *each* monad
JW> that the caller specifies at the call site, while we were discussing
JW> functions that make their own choice of returning *some* monad instance.

*i* mean just syntax sugar, short-hand for existing forall
declarations, which i'm using a lot just now

btw, on the http://haskell.galois.com/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/PartialTypeSigs
author mean using underscore for "(exists a . a)" types

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com