H-core (was: Re: ~ patterns)

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Wed Feb 1 17:46:33 EST 2006

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 09:40:20AM -0500, Robert Dockins wrote:
> Additionally, a standard for core would allow a new level of tool
> interoperability.  Haskell front ends and backends could be cleanly
> separated along a well-defined border.  DrIFT and Haddock and others
> as well could benefit.  Happy could generate core directly.... anyway
> you get the idea.

Yeah, i have always wanted ghc to allow one to inject a preprocessor
(midprocessor?) after desugaring but while it is still haskell. it would
allow preprocessors to not worry about a lot of the front-end extensions
and let the compiler have first crack at reporting type errors to the
user before they are obfcusiated by any preproccesing.

I think a formal definition of core-haskell would be an excellent thing.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈