New Layout Rule

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Fri Dec 8 10:26:30 EST 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 02:33:47AM -0800, John Meacham wrote:
> Motivated by some recent discussion, I thought I would explore the
> possibilty of formalizing the haskell layout rule without the dreaded
> parse-error clause, as in, one that can be completly handled by the
> lexer.

There was some discussion about that a while ago on this list, e.g.
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-prime/2006-March/000915.html
and other subthreads in that thread.

I'd still love to see a replacement which can be a separate phase
between lexing and parsing, even if it means we need to lay some things
out differently or tweak other bits of the syntax.

Thanks
Ian