[Haskell-i18n] Unicode in source

Ketil Z. Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
26 Aug 2002 12:08:32 +0200

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

> Requiring a newline before a new layout context would break *a lot* of
> code.   You can't write 'let x = 42 in x + 1' for example.

(I'm not sure this is a good example, as 'in' is (usually?) followed by
a single expression.  But one could write 'x + 1 where x = 42', and the
point is still there.)

> Sure, a refinement could be made to allow these kind of things,

Couldn't it, though?  This looks very similar to Python's

        if x==y: foo x

or, the alternative multi-statement case

        if x==y:
                foo x
                bar y

AFAIK, there's no column-counting middle ground akin to

        if x==y: foo x
                 bar y

I think it would be a good idea to *allow* the current rules, but
*recommend* that blocks (of more than one line) are made up by lines
indented with whitespace, and whitespace only.  Ideally, I'd like a
compiler warning for this, but at least we should warn when
multi-(or unknown-)column characters may affect indentation levels?

-kzm