[Haskell-i18n] Unicode in source

Dylan Thurston dpt@math.harvard.edu
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:13:32 -0400

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 05:51:42PM +0000, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
> Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:56:43 -0400, Dylan Thurston <dpt@petunia.bostoncoop.n=
et> pisze:
>=20
> > (I'd go further and require that the leading white-space always be
> > identical, not just get you to the same column.  Tabs are not always
> > equal to 8 spaces...)
>=20
> Choosing a non-standard tab width is evil. They should be 8 spaces
> always and life would be a bit simpler.

I prefer to think of spaces and tabs as independent units.  That way
there are never any errors of comparison.

If you use the equality 8 spaces =3D 1 tab, then your indentation gets
destroyed in, for instance, quoted e-mail messages.  WRT Haskell, this
has annoyed me in literate scripts using '>'.  (I think there was even
some difference between Haskell implementations here?)

--Dylan

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c--