[Haskell-i18n] Code

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:09:20 +0100

> What license do the Haskell libraries use?

The details are not precisely clear, but to all intents and purposes
libraries/base is under a BSD-style license.  That is the intention,
anyway.

libraries/network, libraries/haskell-src and libraries/haskell98 are
also BSD-licensed.  It is expected that we will have a package for GPL
or LGPL licensed libraries at some point in the future.

I'd argue strongly in favour of putting all code generated by the i18n
project under nothing more restrictive than a BSD license, and
preferably the same license as the Haskell report and FFI addendum.  (I
hope the eventual outcome of this discussion will be a Haskell 98 i18n
addendum).

Here's the Haskell report license:

  The authors intend this Report to belong to the entire Haskell
  community, and so we grant permission to copy and distribute it for
  any purpose, provided that it is reproduced in its entirety,
  including this Notice.  Modified versions of this Report may also be
  copied and distributed for any purpose, provided that the modified
  version is clearly presented as such, and that it does not claim to
  be a definition of the Haskell 98 Language.

Cheers,
	Simon