[Haskell-i18n] Unicode in source

Alastair Reid alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
22 Aug 2002 18:18:28 +0100

> On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 23:55, Glynn Clements wrote:
>> The other interpretation is that all glyphs have widths which are
>> an integral number of "columns". Western (latin, cyrillic, Greek)
>> characters are a single column wide, while CJK characters are
>> typically two columns wide. The (Unix98) wcwidth() function can be
>> used to obtain the width (in columns) of a given wide character
>> (wchar_t) in the current locale.

>> The (Unix98) wcwidth() function can be used to obtain the width (in
>> columns) of a given wide character (wchar_t) in the current locale.

Can you clarify whether this is because the mapping of wchar_ts onto
Unicode code points depends on the locale or whether the width of a
Unicode code point depends on the locale.

[I'm trying to understand whether we can be sure that the number of
columns is portable so that different machines will apply the layout
rule consistently (assuming the translation into UTF8 is consistent).]

--
Alastair Reid                 alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Reid Consulting (UK) Limited  http://www.reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk/alastair/