[Haskell-i18n] unicode notation \uhhhh implementation

Ashley Yakeley ashley@semantic.org
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:09:24 -0700

At 2002-08-15 10:02, Sven Moritz Hallberg wrote:

>What reason would one have to use Unicode characters outside of string
>and character literals? The only one I could see would be to have
>prettier code. I'm personally itching for real greek letters in my code,
>even if only a handful of other people could read the file, ATM.
>
>But what's the point of it if you can't deal with the characters
>yourself, having to use escape sequences. The compiler surely couldn't
>care less about it.

Well, if we want to go the Java route and allow full Unicode in
identifiers, it would allow developer A to export Haskell identifiers
with Greek characters from a Greek charset source file, and developer B
to use those identifiers from an ASCII source file.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA