[Haskell-i18n] Some starters for the new list

Martin Norbäck d95mback@dtek.chalmers.se
14 Aug 2002 12:37:14 +0200

--=-/4O4U1epfxMG7u/qy3b2

Let's have an open discussion on internationalization issues here.

Some issues to discuss.

* Unicode in standard IO functions
Since Haskell Chars are Unicode, should standard Haskell 98 IO functions
be made to obey the locale charset? If the locale charset is iso-8859-1
it will work as before (possibly with some transliteration done, instead
of just taking character values modulo 256). See also thread on
linux-utf8 mailing list
(http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-utf8/2000-10/msg00139.html).

There are no semantics on things like putStr in the library report,
there ought to be.

* Unicode library
We need a good Unicode library apart from the standard IO functions that
can be used with specialized IO, in bindings and so on.

* Other locale issues
Should there be locale dependent show functions (, for decimal separator
etc.)

* Translation issues
What is the best way to make programs translatable? I have some files at
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d95mback/gettext/ which could be commented
on.

I propose that when the Haskell Wiki comes online, we use that to
produce draft enhancements to the existing Haskell 98 language report,
and perhaps the new Unicode libraries.

Regards,

	Martin

--=20
Martin Norb=E4ck          d95mback@dtek.chalmers.se             =20
Kapplandsgatan 40       +46 (0)708 26 33 60                   =20
S-414 78  G=D6TEBORG      http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d95mback/
SWEDEN                  OpenPGP ID: 3FA8580B

--=-/4O4U1epfxMG7u/qy3b2

--=-/4O4U1epfxMG7u/qy3b2--