[Haskell-community] Haskell language API copyright status?

Nicholas Papadonis nick.papadonis.ml at gmail.com
Sun May 24 15:15:58 UTC 2020

Hi Folks,

You may be aware of Oracle vs. Google in regards to the Java API being copyrighted.  The case is still in progress.

When the Haskell language was created, including any books on it, the authors became the copyright holder for the language API that one uses to code with.  Is anyone aware of any license which grants people free use of this API.  I saw various licenses for compilers, but was concerned that was only for the code implementing the compiler/interpreter.  If so, what is it?

There could be an interpretation that a derivative work of the compiler / interpreter implementation is indeed the language itself.  Therefore if the compiler / interpreter and it’s derivative is freely licensed, then the language API is as well.

I ask because it’s my understanding C/C++ language API was licensed through ISO, which grants a free license to anyone implementing or using the language API.

Appreciate your guidance.

Thank you,
Nick