[Haskell-community] 2018 state of Haskell survey

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 17:14:37 UTC 2018

HI Taylor.

A few thoughts. First, even with joint sponsorship, I don't think
saying "Official" in the name of the survey is a good idea. Everything
is "official" from whatever group supports it, but that seems besides
the point. I think that the intended meaning here is a bit slippery
since it can be interpreted as "approved by some body" but is often
used to mean "authoritative" and as we've discussed, you can't really
be authoritative with things like this, just "better".  Ok, that said,
on to some other points:

"Are you interested in a new version of the Haskell standard?"

Interested is a very vague thing to ask. I'd want something more
specific like "how important do you feel it would be to have a new
version..."

On "Where do you interact with the Haskell community?" I think that we
should distinguish between "conferences (academic)" and "conferences
(commercial)" because ICFP and HaskellX, for example, are very
different sorts of things.

I'd also like a question, as I mentioned earlier, like "What sort of
Haskell software is developed at your company" with options for
"in-house" "binaries deployed to customers" and "webapps used by
customers" among maybe other options. Also perhaps "is the software
you work on A) bound by memory B) bound by processor utilization C)
bound by wire/disk speed D) bound by serialization E) not running
against any performance limits at this time" and additionally is the
software  intended A) for continuous (server) operation or B) batched
operation or C) interactive user-driven operation.

Cheers,
Gershom