Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 22 15:32:22 UTC 2018

Good idea.   “k12” is rather USA specific. What about education at haskell.org<mailto:education at haskell.org>?

Simon

From: Haskell-community <haskell-community-bounces at haskell.org> On Behalf Of Chris Smith
Sent: 22 October 2018 15:32
To: Haskell-community <haskell-community at haskell.org>

Hey,

Is there a process to request a new mailing list on the haskell.org<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fhaskell.org&data=02%7C01%7Csimonpj%40microsoft.com%7Cb44e74be5c734a964cd608d6382b25a1%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636758155306014274&sdata=iLYTigePbix7DpkFJt1JBd%2BDj58EytsEiRWzam3kBm4%3D&reserved=0> domain?

Here's my use case.  About 25 Haskell programmers met at ICFP to discuss uses of Haskell in K-12 education (for non-US readers, that means before university).  I'm also in touch with another half-dozen people who either have done, or are doing, something pre-university with Haskell, but could not be at ICFP.  The main result of our conversation was that we wanted a common place to discuss, report on our experiences, look for productive collaborations and common threads, etc.  There are already a few project-specific places, e.g. the codeworld-discuss mailing list for my own project, but we were explicitly looking for something general-purpose and universal.  It would be great if this could be, say, "k12 at haskell.org<mailto:k12 at haskell.org>" or something like that.

I'm pretty open in terms of how we'd administer the list.  I'm willing to do the work of handling obvious spam bots and things like that.  If there's a feeling we'd need something more than that, then let's have that discussion.  We explicitly don't want a strict topicality enforcement, though.  For example, several people who attended the dinner at ICFP were also interested in functional programming for non-majors at the university level, or were using Elm and other Haskell-like languages - even a few people from the Racket community.  I'd hope to rely on the name of the mailing list to keep things a bit focused, but not really police it at all.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris Smith