[Haskell-community] haskell.org download page

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 10:23:33 UTC 2016

The choice boils down to whether you want stack to manage your GHC
installation or not.

I personally find it distasteful.  This has been the biggest blocker for me
using stack, it wants to control more of my workflow than I want to give
it, leading to an overlap of responsibilities.  (I do use stack, but only
with external GHC installations, and I often get into a mess when it tries
to download another GHC)

Having said that, is it better for new users to delegate the GHC
installation to stack?  I don't know.  It certainly has the downside that
you can't just type "ghci" and get a prompt.

The world seems simpler when it consists of
- GHC installations
- build tools that use your GHC installations and manage local package
building

But when my build tool manages my GHC installations, there's now a layer of
abstraction in the way of GHC and I can't figure out how to interact
directly with GHC any more.  Also I can't use cabal (which I often do).

So, I'd argue for HP minimal to be the default download option.  By all
means recommend stack as the default build tool - I'm sure it's less
problematic for most people to get Stackage by default, and cabal isn't set
up to use Stackage out of the box.

Can't we get rid of HP Full?  I don't see a use for that any more.

Cheers
Simon