[Haskell-community] Is it reasonable to poll the community on this ML?

Paolo Giarrusso paolo.giarrusso at uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Aug 30 05:24:03 UTC 2016

On 29 August 2016 at 17:39, Kosyrev Serge <skosyrev at ptsecurity.com> wrote:
> Gershom B writes:
>>> I might understand the concern about archiving, but haskell-cafe
>>> solves that. And "the committee can't be expected to follow
>>> discussions" and "is empowered to act" does sound like "the committee
>>> can't be expected to listen to the community”.

> Technical issues ought to be decided on their technical substance,
> not through popularity contests, aren't they?

Such discussions should be based on appropriate evidence. And for
software, user satisfaction is certainly relevant. In particular, if a
technical argument suggests a software should satisfy its users
better, and users aren't satisfied, the argument seems poorly
predictive.

> And if we are to choose one medium

I specifically mentioned haskell-cafe since it's a mailing list.
Of course, if you really wanted to poll the community, a mailing list
has no support for aggregation and won't scale.

Paolo G. Giarrusso - Ph.D. Student, Tübingen University
http://ps.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/team/giarrusso/