[Haskell-community] haskell.org download page

Michael Carpenter oldmanmike.dev at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 18:03:12 UTC 2016

The whole reason it's deprecated in the first place is because FP Complete
would prefer to maintain, and receive issues for, the Stack project instead
of minghc. This seems like a pretty relevant detail that's not being
discussed here.

Also, why would it be advisable to promote HP over Stack?

Couple of notes:
1) As far as I can tell, this discussion is meaningless without the
feedback of newcomers to Haskell who are attempting to set up their
environment on Windows. Linux and Mac users don't need minghc and have a
package manager anyways to install whatever they want. Experienced users
aren't the priority of the Download page as we already know which download
we actually want and where it is, even if its less direct than the
beginners option.
2) This really just boils down to the political gridlock between HP and
Stack. Unless the actual parties involved in that gridlock can hammer out
an actual decision directly, why have an obscure vote on an obscure mailing
list? Such an act comes off as clandestine.
3) Any merit in a decision to favor HP over Stack would have to be grounded
in actual data as to which is the most surefire and simple way for
newcomers to get Haskell up and running on a Windows machine. I personally
don't have enough data points to make an educated decision here.

As a makeshift vote, I would elect that we keep the Download list the way
it is or just remove the Minimal Installer (which would obviously result
with Stack at the top and I'm assuming that's controversial for some
reason.)

-1

Thanks!
- Michael Carpenter