[Haskell-community] Request for comment: New haskell.org download page

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Thu Sep 24 17:54:28 UTC 2015

On Sep 24, 2015, at 1:38 PM, Bryan Richter <b at chreekat.net> wrote:
>  Since I don't know anyone who likes or uses
> the HP, I think hearing their perspective would be valuable.

At the threat of being booed out of the community, I'll stand up and say I like the HP. Of course it should improve -- and I like the direction it's going -- but I've used it as it is and would do so again.

I think the observation that the HP promotes a ghc-centric view is why I like it. When working with a new language, I really do just want to think about the compiler. Only when I get around to trying to actually produce software do I care about a build tool. Starting with stack or cabal, instead of with ghc, means a much bigger cognitive load right away. Not only to you have Haskell files, but you also have .cabal files, and perhaps stack.yaml files. You have to think about directory structure -- both `cabal` and `stack` behave differently when they're run in or under a directory with project files than elsewhere.

But, when I'm starting out, and when my students are starting out, I just want to think about the language. Compilers have, at their core, a simple interface: program text in, program binary out. Simple! It may be totally insufficient for producing portable libraries and distributable software, but I'm not tackling those issues on my first day. The fact that the HP means I can install something and right away tinker in GHCi and explore some common libraries is great.

I'm not trying to derail the conversation. Or even to urge strongly that HP remain on the downloads page. I've not followed the thread closely enough to be able to make such a stand. But while scrolling through, I saw Bryan's request, and I thought I'd answer it.

Happy booing! :)

Richard